Re: Why ORA-4031 is not always logged in alert ?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 21:47:14 +0100

On 5 Mar 2002 11:37:46 -0800, bchorng_at_yahoo.com (Bass Chorng) wrote:

>Does anybody know why ORA-4031 is not always logged in alert.log ?
>
>In fact, in our environment, most of the 4031 are never logged.
>In checking the history of alert, seems like only certain types
>of ora-4031 are logged. Does anybody know why and what the the
>ones that Oracle would log ?

ORA-4031 is issued for the PGA. A PGA exists for every individual session. Session specific problems are NOT logged in the alert. When a background process would run into a 4031 that is a different story. Errors in a session from which all users potentially suffer are logged, so any tablespace problem is logged there. However, your 4031 is purely local, and there is fine chance that another session can allocate memory.
I can imagine 4031s are logged when you are using MTS, because in that case the PGA is located in the SGA.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Mar 05 2002 - 14:47:14 CST