Re: Why ORA-4031 is not always logged in alert ?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 5 Mar 2002 17:05:40 -0800

In article <vfba8ucemsi7qb3r1b69iujusm9bft8bkd_at_4ax.com>, Sybrand says...

>On 5 Mar 2002 11:37:46 -0800, bchorng_at_yahoo.com (Bass Chorng) wrote:
>
>>Does anybody know why ORA-4031 is not always logged in alert.log ?
>>
>>In fact, in our environment, most of the 4031 are never logged.
>>In checking the history of alert, seems like only certain types
>>of ora-4031 are logged. Does anybody know why and what the the
>>ones that Oracle would log ?
>
>ORA-4031 is issued for the PGA.

04031, 00000, "unable to allocate %s bytes of shared memory (\"%s\",\"%s\",\"%s\",\"%s\")"
// *Cause: More shared memory is needed than was allocated in the shared // pool.

its for the shared pool -- not the pga

> A PGA exists for every individual
>session. Session specific problems are NOT logged in the alert. When a
>background process would run into a 4031 that is a different story.
>Errors in a session from which all users potentially suffer are
>logged, so any tablespace problem is logged there. However, your 4031
>is purely local, and there is fine chance that another session can
>allocate memory.
>I can imagine 4031s are logged when you are using MTS, because in that
>case the PGA is located in the SGA.

PGA's are never in the SGA. PGA's are process global areas. Believe you mean the UGA (user global area) which normally is part of the pga in dedicated server mode but moves to the SGA. The PGA however stays in the process (sort_area_size is allocated in the PGA for example, never in the SGA)