Re: best way to have a standby database?

From: Ralph Graulich <ralph_at_grauli.ch>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 04:29:39 +0100

Hi Wujo,

> The standby server does not have to go immediately online or have the very
> latest data (the newer the better though) if the main server fails.

Concerning the size of your database and the amount of data getting daily changed or added, I suggest the following setup:

  1. Setting up a remote machine as a standby database
  2. Forcing regular logswitches on the production database, so the online redo log gets archived in determined intervals
  3. transfer the currently archived online redo log on the remote standby site (using OS utilities like scp or rdist/rsync) -> cron
  4. Issuing recover database using the copied archived redo logs on the standby site

You'll find useful information in "Oracle8i Standby Database Concepts and Administration".

:wq!
RoF Received on Mon Mar 04 2002 - 21:29:39 CST