Re: How to show biggest redo producers

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 02:38:06 GMT

On Mon, 04 Mar 2002 08:37:56 -0500, Hemant K Chitale wrote:

> The query would work if the transaction (SQL) generating the redo was
> still in the shared pool. If the SQL was executed a few hours ago and is
> a one-off SQL (ie, occuring say once a day) and the DBA doesn't know at
> what time-of-the-day
> the SQL is executed, he'd better keep running this query repeatedly in an
> attempt to catch it. Hemant K Chitale http://hkchital.tripod.com

Well, being a DBA, I usually try to monitor when the things are happening. That means that I would normally try to find out when did the log activity normally take place and then try to be there at the right time and on the right place next time. If I cannot be there physically because I'm watching the NCAA playoffs (DBAs call that "March Madness""), I can always be there in spirit and crontab script. Creating a script that would select the top 5 sinners and then select their current SQL from v$sqlarea shouldn't be particularly difficult. Fortunately for me, my redo logs are 1GB in size, so they don't switch very often. I know, I know, recovery will be a pain, if I ever have to do it, but recovering on another machine took me less then 2 hours. A good DBA can be in several places at the same time. We also do not have reflection in the mirror because we've already spent more sleepless nights then count Dracula. There are nuances of the DBA trade that are not for general public, only for the true BDBAFH.

--
Mladen Gogala