Re: lost of redo logs

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 04:04:00 +1100

Hi Jeff,

I'll confirm that what you report happens on 9i, Windows 2000, so it's not version or O/S specific. However, several cups of tea, an hour or so of early-morning Discovery Channel, and a good book later, the status *did* spontaneously change from 'ACTIVE' to 'INACTIVE' without a second log switch:

SQL> alter system switch logfile;

System altered.

SQL> select group#, archived, status from v$log;

    GROUP# ARC STATUS

---------- --- ----------------
         1 NO  INACTIVE
         2 NO  ACTIVE
         3 NO  CURRENT

[Long, long wait here]

SQL> select group#, archived, status from v$log;

    GROUP# ARC STATUS

         1 NO  INACTIVE
         2 NO  INACTIVE
         3 NO  CURRENT

Be *extremely* patient, and it will happen. I would imagine, never having investigated it thoroughly, that Oracle is simply playing safe. Since it's 4am here, I'll leave the thorough investigation until later, if that's OK! I'll report back when I have something.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com

[snip]