Re: Performance question: single datafile vs multiple datafiles

From: Ricky Sanchez <rsanchez_at_more.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 04:20:44 GMT

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> So now please tell me I'm an idiot. You have done that before to me,
> so I'm prepared for it.

Who? Me? <grin>

Actually, it would seem Toad is the idiot in this case. I don't really know the product beyond casual encounters, and never have used it as a performance monitoring tool. Of course, there is no correlation with average scan depth and the number of physical files.

And certainly striping takes care of the disk latency issue, especially if you use an intelligent system to do it for you and don't attempt to manually tune files. I personally think SAME is the way to go. The original poster is apparently not in a contemporary disk environment, so my comment was intended to draw that into the discussion. Your reply did just that, thanks.

Regards,

ricky Received on Sat Mar 02 2002 - 22:20:44 CST