Re: Backup and Restore in a DMZ

From: Holger Marzen <holger_at_marzen.de>
Date: 2 Mar 2002 09:12:55 GMT

> Sorry, but I would like to continue the thread about not putting oracle
> inside the DMZ.
>
> Can anyone say why you would not want it there. To me it sounds like a good
> idea unless
> I am confused about the purpose of a DMZ.

It's simply the approach to move as many parts of the application far away from the bad guys. But it doesn't help much (though a little bit). If the bad guys crack the application server then the can pretend they are making authorized db calls. But it's harder to take over the complete db machine (doesn't make much sense if the db ist the only service on the db machine).

It's a matter of money. You can distribute application components (programs, database) over several machines and separate them with packet filters or application gateways. Every filter is an additional barrier for the bad guys and gives you at least some time. On the other hand an intrusion should be detected and the machine should be shut down. End of game. Received on Sat Mar 02 2002 - 03:12:55 CST