Re: Performance question: single datafile vs multiple datafiles

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 01 Mar 2002 19:33:34 +0000 (GMT)

Ricky Sanchez <rsanchez_at_more.net> wrote:

>Also, in a non-raid environment, don't multiple data files afford the
>opportunity to spread IO among many disks and reduce latency?

In my experience, yes, but crudely, It can work, it can even work most of the time, however I've found it can cause hot-spots, particularly under heavy insert activity, which just isn't the case if you go with SAME. Similarly, an increasingly popular configuration seems to be to get a big IBM, EMC or Hitachi array and present the storage as a set of RAID-5 stripes, and distribute put the data files across them to try to spread I/O load. This has fairly similar charactristics to just using single drives, except each device is faster and failure resistant. Again, hotspots can occur, and it's a real pain to persuade people that they want to have seperate disks for their online redo.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/