Re: Export on a remote host

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:46:49 GMT

Well Ben,

My first answer is, the question does not make sense to me. Forget the java part right now at least as it goes for me; that's another word for coffee in my lexicon and beans are what you grind up to make it with.

How can you have a schema (and presumably, data with it) on a machine, without Oracle on it? Where is it living now?

Import and Export are very formally defined words in Oracle Land. I am taking a rough guess in saying that the source machine doesn't have Oracle on it, the data on it are not stored in Oracle (therefore) and what you want to do is transfer the data to a machine that DOES have oracle on it, and plug that data into some table?

Am I even close? "Neeeeed more inpuuuuut" as Johnny Five would say.

If you can get any kind of normal ASCII flat file out of whatever that's holding the data now on the remote machine, using SQLLDR to load (not IMPORT) the data should not be a big deal.

What are we dealing with here?