Re: Quick Tale: Lost production database because of keyboard and Veritas Cluster Server

From: Rich Teer <rich_at_rite-group.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:50:05 GMT

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, RSH wrote:

> Touching anything on a live production system is something I would never do;
> but it has happened and a person has a problem. All I have mostly seen are
> variations of "How could you be so STUPID?" or lists of things that if done
> before the fact could have prevented the current situation. And now, jumping
> down my throat because I objected to treating someone with a genuine mess on
> their hands as an object of ridicule instead of offering useful assistance,
> and then treating me with a similar level of contempt.

It's no excuse for such behaviour, but look at it this way: there are many very talented people who frequent these newsgroups, many of whom are out of work - possibly because someone with less (or no) experience is "doing" their job, cheaper. These cheap newbies blow things up, and then ask here for free help - from the very people that they're helping to keep out of work (indirectly, perhaps).

I guess it is a little unfair to blame the newbies (we were all newbies once), but us unemoloyed people have got to vent our frustration somehow!

Of course, the real people to blame are the clueless, cheapskate management types who hire newbies - with no experience, and noone else on site to back them up (mentor them, if you will). But the PHB's don't come here asking for help, so I'm afraid the messanger gets shot instead.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.