Re: Wierd slow "comment"

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 05:48:39 GMT

What's your shared_pool_size looking like? (yeah yeah yeah, and db_block_buffers), and how fragmented is your SYSTEM tablespace?

What you're complaining about sounds like something non-good with all the parameters and physical life of the data dictionary and the SYSTEM tablespace.

Comment on...

never seemed to take much time to execute for me, on any platform, so there's either a big contention problem, lack of memory somewhere, enormous fragmentation of SYSTEM, etc. If someone or someTHING is doing DDL ops, that would definitely be nasty, as DDL needs exclusive locks; but you didn't mention any error messages; what does your alertxxx log say? Any trace files being generated?

All I can think of as the root cause is either other operations contending for locks on your comment-on objects, a badly fragmented system tablespace that of course would affect the data dictionary, SGA memory tuning problems, or, (no insult intended), unrelated processes running that are sucking up CPU cycles or other resources.

What do sar, vmstat, and top say when you're running these scripts? And is the database in RESTRICTED mode and you are certain nothing and nobody but you and your script are accessing the instance?

Apart from that, the well is dry. One of the gurus here will have to give their two cents; I'm just a grunt.

RSH. I trust no other operations are going on at the same time this script is running?