Re: Quick Tale: Lost production database because of keyboard and Veritas Cluster Server

From: Rich Teer <rich_at_rite-group.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 22:16:05 GMT

On 27 Feb 2002, milkfilk wrote:

> Me:
> I'm not a DBA and I'm no Veritas expert.

Nort am I, but I do have a comment:

> What happened:
> I pulled the keyboard plug on our Sun server while rewiring our KVM
> switch. Yes, I know.

Do NOT connect Suns to a KVM. They are a solution to a PC problem, one that Suns aren't saddled with. Use a serial port console server instead.

> Let me tell you that I'm shocked that an enterprise system can do
> this. A keyboard unplug started all of this. I'm looking at
> disabling the keyboard and this is my job as a UNIX SysAdmin to know
> this stuff, but the Veritas Cluster should have worked!

IMNSHO, A UNIX sysadmin should know better than to use a KVM on Suns. Oh well. I do hope you get your problem fixed; I hear that Sun's clustering software might be a bit better, but as I have no experience with either, I can't comment.

> 3. Anyone having problems with Veritas Cluster Server?
> 4. Anyone have comments?

Get rid of that KVM, and get a serial console server.

Don't play with production systems, even if they are backed up!

Maybe have a look at Sun's clustering software.

Best of luck,

--
Rich Teer

President,