Re: Help! Why a relation table takes hard space ?

From: Magnus Ytterstad <magnus.ytterstad_at_telia.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 18:50:46 GMT

The referential integrity constraint does not take space on any of your tablespaces. However, when you create an index on a foreign key column in the child table, you will use disk space to store it. This index is separate from the parent table index. The parent table primary key has unique values for each row, but this do not have to be true for the child table.

In your example below, the rows in the R_AB table whill use disk space just as any other table data. For each connection you want to make between tables a and b, you need to store a row in r_ab.

-magnus.