Re: Secure oracle password length

From: Igor Laletin <ilaletin_at_usa.net>
Date: 25 Feb 2002 01:13:35 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message news:<a5cask$j6e$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz>...
> Oracle passwords are *not* encrypted. They are hashed, which is quite a
> different thing altogether.

... and that's bad. The password security should not rely completely on external protection like profiles. In the real world we should imply that encrypted password is available to a hacker so the encription must be strong enough.

> And yet again, you seem to imply a weakness where none need exist: it
> wouldn't matter if you threw a Pentium VI 92789468GHz processor at the job
> of cracking a password, if after three attempts the account is locked, would
> it?

Profiles are not an excuse for the lack of a proper encryption. If you have a hashed password, just create user .. identified by values in a private database and take your time. Pentium VI 92789468GHz would come handy :)

BTW account locking is not that great. I'd make those three attempts and would lock all your db accounts. Simple DoS attack.

Cheers,
Igor