Re: Help: Is there any way we can find full table scan?

From: Edzard <edzard_at_volcanomail.com>
Date: 23 Feb 2002 13:46:06 -0800

A not so sophisticated but very effective way of seeing what is going on in your server is to run a sql trace. Start up the database with sql_trace=true and timed_statistics=true in the parameter file. Also check user_dump_dest points to a directory whith sufficient free space and set max_dump_file_size=unlimited. Run the system like this during an average working day.

At the end of the day you typically have some 100 - 500 Mb of trace files. Concatenate thesa all into one big file and analyze this with tkprof utility. Supply the explain=<connectinfo> option to include the execution plans in the output. Surprisingly the final output is condensed to the number of different sql statements in your database. You can search for the word FULL to locate full scans and see how often these where executed and see what was the impact on CPU and disk. Received on Sat Feb 23 2002 - 15:46:06 CST