Re: assign a priority to a request

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 09:35:56 +1100

If you want to start prioritising your Users and their SQL, look in the doco for 'Resource Manager'. It's a way of scaling CPU and Parallel Query usage for users, depending on what 'Resource Consumer Group' they've been assigned to.

I can create Resource Plans that say, for example, "I am the DBA, so I will get 100% of the CPU; if you are an OLTP worker, you get 80% of whatever I have left you of available CPU; and if you are someone who likes churning out large reports, you get 20% of whatever I, as the DBA, haven't used of the CPU".

That sort of thing... good stuff, but hardly anyone uses it, on the grounds that if you get your palns wrong, everybody suffers dreadful performance woes. Get it right, though, and it could be just what you are after.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com