Re: Password for internall

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:09:05 GMT

"damorgan" <dan.morgan_at_ci.seattle.wa.us> wrote in message news:3C7685F4.40978D65_at_ci.seattle.wa.us...
> I highly doubt you can. But what bothers me is why you would want to. If
> you don't have any concern for security why not just assign all system
> privileges to public.
>
> Daniel Morgan

That's a little harsh.
In versions gone by (still in use around the world) you practically HAD to connect internal in svrmgrl or sqldba, on the server, to startup or shutdown the database or conduct certain other operations. All the password and SQL*NET stuff you had to go through to make it work right to use OEM for the same things were almost not worth the trouble. Besides, I always feel more comfortable being directly logged in and seeing the reassuring messages in starting and stopping Oracle; not to mention being to directly leap to editing initXXX.ora or other critical files, should there be a problem.

All of that sure still beats:

ior -w
and
ior -s

all to heck.

RSH.
Database Systems Architect/DBA/Manager - Oracle & others - 20+ years Received on Fri Feb 22 2002 - 15:09:05 CST