Re: Secure oracle password length

From: Pete Finnigan <pete_at_peterfinnigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:42:09 +0000

Hi

have a look around your machine for any stray export files that have world read permissions, its not too difficult usually, open in vi and get the hash, no high level access needed!!.

Our company has reported a security alert to Oracle about a certain install leaving stray world readable export files lying around in /tmp.

What about careless backups lying around.

Start to think like a hacker and there are ways to find lists of password hashes.

have a look at http://www.pentest-limited.com/oracle-security.htm for some more ideas.

cheers

Pete Finnigan
www.pentest-limited.com

In article <95cd51c.0202182312.4772f5f9_at_posting.google.com>, godmann <allanwtham_at_yahoo.com> writes
>Hi there,
>
> Mick is right. If someone got hold of you sys password, he can basically
>do anything. What's the point of hacking then? What Howard was pointing out
>was end-users who could be blocked using profile. Now, assume you don't have
>sys password and the profile is set with locking after three attempts, go
>ahead and hack! I bet you won't be able to!
>
>Allan W. Tham
>DBA

the system manager at admin_at_pentest-limited.com
--
Pete Finnigan
IT Security Consultant

Office  01565 830 990