Re: Network Appliance (the company) rating?

From: Tom Grenier <tom_at_sqlman.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 10:10:14 -0800

Hi Thomas,

I was hoping for other feedback with more details for you, but I see that so far there are none (at least that have posted to the group).

I work for a huge biotech, and we moved all of my department’s servers to netapps several months ago. Unfortunately I can only tell you that I think it went smoothly and has be up and successful. I’m in clinical data management and all this is done by another department (IS) in another building. So I have only anecdotal experience (i.e. we haven’t gone down, the system is at least as fast as it was before, maintenance down times don't seem to have increased, and the pressure for space seems to have gone away).

I believe the move was done across several departments – my department alone has around 500 active users with multiple Oracle instances, multiple Informix instances, web servers, etc. We are using netapps for Unix and (I believe) NT storage.

It appears to have been a very successful move. Sorry I can’t give you more techie information, but hope this helps a bit.

Tom