Re: Can Archive log files be distributed?

From: Kenneth Koenraadt <no email>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:22:50 GMT

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 23:40:45 -0500, Tom <tmar_at_nospamm.nac.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I was wondering if it is possible to distribute archive log files over
>multiple disks/directories. I'm running version 8.1.6.
>
>Every so often we have a job that generates a tremendous amount of space
>and it can come close to blowing the drive we use for the archive logs.
>What I'd like to do is have it eitehr alternate between two disks or
>failover to a second drive if the first gets full.
>
>Any help/advise would be appreciated!
>
>Thanks,
>Tom

Hi Tom,

In short, you cannot "distribute" archive log files over several disks. There are other solutions, however :

  1. Move the archive log files to another disk location regularly. A shell script can easily do this. Make it run every minute and register how much space is left on the drive. If < 5% is left, let the script move the oldest archive logs to another drive.
  2. The archive_log_dest parameter is DYNAMIC.

Write a shell script that runs i.e. every minute and registers how much space is left on the actual archive log destination disk. If less than, say, 5 %, is left, issue, through the script, the following against the database :

  alter system set archive_log_dest = <second archive log location>;

As 1) is the most simple solution....I would go for that ;-)

Regards,