Re: log manager in ORACLE?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 06:45:45 +0100

Comments embedded
"Y" <newdbms_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3C6881C6.45770644_at_yahoo.com...
> Hi,
> I am using Oracle 8i EE.
> I took a quick view of oracle books. I haven't found a direct answer for
> my questions.
> I just want to know how log manager works in Oracle?
>
> For example, when I issue one update sql request,
>
> 1. Oracle read the datablock from datafiles on disk into buffer. Before
> update data block, oracle first write the before and after image to log
> buffer?

the before image is written to the rollback segment. Changing the rollback segment implies changing a data block: the change is copied to the log_buffer
Update implies changing a data block, the change is copied to the log_buffer

> 2. When and what information will be written to Rollback Segments?

See above

> 3. When the transaction end or the log buffer pool full, log buffer
> pool flush to redo log files?

The log_buffer will be flushed to disk
either
1 every 3 secs
2 when it is one third full
3 when 1M of the log_buffer is dirty
4 when a transaction is committed.
> 4. The rollback segments will only keep before and after image for open
> transactions. Is that correct?

NO. The after image is NOT in the rollback segment.

The redo log files will store the before
> and after image of unactive transactions. Is that correct?

NO the redolog files store the before and after image for ALL transactions, whether active or unactive. This allows for 'playing back' all mutations after a crash (of course you must have archived those redo log files)

Please read the Oracle Concepts Manual.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA