Re: Single instance w/ multiple databases on NT?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 09:01:40 GMT

"AEG" <agibbons_at_erols.com> wrote:

>In the past I have been told that you can only have one Oracle database per
>instance on an NT server. However, it appears that you can setup a single
>Oracle instance to handle several mounted and open databases at a time.
>Is this the case?

As Sybrand said, an emphatic no. Do not confuse a SQL-Server physical database with what Oracle treats as physical database. A SQL-Server database equates to an Schema in Oracle.

What is possible is the reverse scenario. One database. Many instances (database engines). Each instance running on a different hardware platform (cluster node).

Oracle Parallel Server (OPS) is needed for this - and not to be confused with Oracle Parallel Query (PQ) which can (and should) be run on a single database instance Oracle database, even if the platform only has a single CPU.

--
Billy