Re: How to simulate a disk failure

From: koert54 <koert54_at_nospam.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 22:42:49 GMT

>>>( or any other OS as far as I know) will not you delete a file that is in
use

on any other OS I would say : cat /dev/null > system.dbf does some cool things
or dd if=/dev/null of=system.dbf bs=1024 count=1000 is also nice for some excellent fireworks !

Having said that - there is another way to simulate disk failures or datafile/controlfile/redolog corruption. First of all - this info can be found by anyone owning an Oracle box. Secondly - do not do this on a production system (not even to make fun of the jr DBA)
Thirdly - if by any chance you lose data by setting the following parameters it's your fault not mine ...

So here goes - there are a number of events you can set (either by setting them in init.ora or by using oradebug)
to *simulate* failures :

10059, "simulate error in logfile create/clear"

10209, "enable simulated error on controlfile"

/  Enables event 10214 to signal an error for a specific file. Level
/  is the number of the file to enable them for (file number order from
/  INIT.ORA file). A level greater than the maximum controlfile multiplexing
/  factor will signal error for all files.

10213, "crash after controlfile write"

10214, "simulate write errors on controlfile" / A level of 1-9 simulates write errors on physical blocks 1-9. / If level >= 10 every controlfile write will force an error.

10215, "simulate read errors on controlfile"

/  For errors 10213,10214, and 10215
/      level 1 is for header
/      level 2 is for shared info
/      level >2  is any other block
/  No error 10214 will be simulated unless event 10209 is also set to enable
/  error simulation on that file

10229, "simulate I/O error against datafiles"

10252, "simulate write error to data file header"

10253, "simulate write error to redo log"

10285, "Simulate controlfile header corruption" // *Action: If set, will cause controlfile header verification to fail

10286, "Simulate controlfile open error" // *Action: If set, will cause the next controlfile open to have an error

10287, "Simulate archiver error"
// *Action: If set, next archive log will generate error

Kind Regards
Koert

"TurkBear" <jgreco1_at_mn.rr.com> wrote in message news:4uj06ucuv9fvo04tpuj9n7h8mvjptqtls5_at_4ax.com...
> To answer you specific question, you can't delete them because Oracle is
using them and
> NT ( or any other OS as far as I know) will not you delete a file that is
in use...

> Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Leigh Gold wrote:
> >>
> >> We have a test machine which we use to test our backup and recovery
> >> procedure.
> >>
> >> I was trying to simulate a disk failure by deleting datafiles from a
> >> particular disk drive (D) but kept getting 'sharing violation' error.
Oracle