Re: Transfering Access 2000 mdb into Oracle 7/8

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 06:52:20 +1100

It's hard!

I bet a lot of those error messages were for tables that had auto-incrementing sequences in them: since Oracle and MS data types don't correspond 1-for-1 (and auto-sequences are a classic no-corresponder!), you do get problems. Last time I did it, I went through the entire Access database renaming every column so that names were all in uppercase. Same for the tables themselves (otherwise, you have to enclose your table names in quotes when you start running queries - select * from 'emp' for example). Also, any autoincrementing sequence was replaced with a boring old number field (and triggers had to be hand-crafted afterwards to populate the relevant fields in Oracle). Quite hard work.

Oracle used to supply a conversion utility, but you had to pay for it, and I've forgotten what it was called, and don't know whether it is still current (someone here will know). I tried it once or twice: you still have to do quite a lot of work by hand afterwards, even so.

Regards