Re: archivelog backup and its files

From: obakesan <cjeastwd_at_powerup.com.au>
Date: 31 Jan 2002 17:50:20 -0800

HiYa

oraclems_at_hotmail.com (Murali) wrote in message news:<22e6597b.0201310709.12d13f6a_at_posting.google.com>...

> > and lo and behold a file appears in the location.
>
> You are doing fine. You didnt have any archivelogs to start with since
> you started your hot backup IMMEDIATELY after putting the database

ahhhh ... and since its a development system at this point, there wont be much traffic till load testing at least.

I guess that (having a read of the initSID.ora file that the amount of records required to fill that is in the parameter

log_buffer = 163840

(to sneak in a question, and also let you know where its set at now ;-)

> into archivelog mode. Which is fine.
> Archivelog files are copies of the redo logs. So only when a redo log
> fills up will Oracle copy it over to the archivelog destination.

ok ... thanks for that, this of course leads me to then next niggling question in my mind about this operation and that is what happens to the transactions that are being made on the database between the

        alter tablespace mydata begin backup;
and the

        alter tablespace mydata endbackup;

I am guessing that they are put into the NEXT backup.

Finally I would be keen to know what happens in the short amount of time between

        alter tablespace mydata end backup;
and

        alter system switch logfile;

potentially (on a busy system) it would seem to me that some transactions may be made into the log, but then be flushed onto that log file?

no??

please excuse dense questions, and refer me to some reasonably concise reading on this (if it exists) other wise I guess these will remain 'back of my mind' quesitons as I develop my understanding of the server operation

thanks to all how helped, its been a most interesting journey so far. Received on Thu Jan 31 2002 - 19:50:20 CST