Re: archivelog backup and its files

From: Murali <oraclems_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 31 Jan 2002 07:09:44 -0800

> I then took the next step of
> alter tablespace mydata end backup;
>
> and then
> alter system switch logfile;
>
> and lo and behold a file appears in the location.

You are doing fine. You didnt have any archivelogs to start with since you started your hot backup IMMEDIATELY after putting the database into archivelog mode. Which is fine.
Archivelog files are copies of the redo logs. So only when a redo log fills up will Oracle copy it over to the archivelog destination. If you had waited 2-3 hours and there was heavy activity on the system, you would have seen archivelogs being generated. Or you can get an archivelog by force switching a redo log, which is what you did (switch logfile). This archivelog and the ones that follow it need to be backed up. They will be needed if you have to recover from the hot backup that you started.

> so my question is "is his order right or am I doing something wrong?"

The order is right.

> do I have to change file first, then backup that changed file??

If you mean switch logfile and backup the resultant archivelog, answers above.

Murali
http://www.dbaquest.com Received on Thu Jan 31 2002 - 09:09:44 CST