Re: LMT and Siebel/Peoplesoft?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:42:56 GMT

Daniel A. Morgan doodled thusly:

>I'll give you the answer a different way. LMT is the standard at Boeing and at
>AT&T. I am aware of no problems being reported among thousands of servers and
>instances.

Far from wanting to be cynical, Daniel. But when I started using 8i (8.1.7) in production environments (early last year), I was immensely surprised at the level of bugs in many of the patch fix lists for .2 and .3. Most were soooo basic bugs, it leads me to believe there hadn't really been extensive use of 8.1.7 out there, worldwide. Some problems I've had recently (with 8.1.7) once again lead me to believe the darn thing hasn't been extensively used anywhere.

I can for sure tell you that in Australia (at least in Sydney), most of the sites I've seen use other versions. From 7.3.4 to 8.0.n to 8.1.n. Most are not at 8i Release3 (8.1.7). Many are looking at bypassing release 3 completely and jumping from 7 and 8.0 to 9i.

Oracle Consultancy Services here has done an excellent job of getting new sites up to the latest level of software. But theirs is not by any stress of the imagination the majority of installations.

The early releases of 8i didn't exactly help build a reputation for reliability. And Oracle's insistence in 1999 and 2000 to just keep releasing new versions without fixing bugs in older ones didn't help at all.

Hence why there is a lot of reluctance here to use LMT in ANY level of 8i. Regardless of what Boeing or anybody else might be doing.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Tue Jan 22 2002 - 06:42:56 CST