Re: Cynicism was LMT and Siebel/Peoplesoft?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:54:29 -0000

"Nuno Souto" <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:3c4d5be9.4058266_at_news-vip.optusnet.com.au...
> Far from wanting to be cynical, Daniel.

But if you weren't you wouldn't be a DBA. I've been pondering a bit Tom Kytes suggestion in his book that the types of people who make good DBAs differ from those who make good developers and I think this is one area where he is right. A good DBA is cynical and conservative. A good Developer uses the latest and greatest tools. It also shows here where I see developers advocating .net (it could equally be J2EE) because xml will glue all these apps together and the n-tier architecture answers your performance and scalability problems. Frankly , though I like the technology I don't believe it will bring the benefits advertised, we've been able to link apps together and publish services through various API's for at least 10 years. Vendors don't do it. I don't see why they should start now that we have a different way to achieve similar results.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA