LMT and Siebel/Peoplesoft?

From: Vikas Agnihotri <fornewsgroups_at_vikas.mailshell.com>
Date: 20 Jan 2002 06:54:54 -0800

Oracle 8.1.7, Solaris 8

Do LMTs make sense for 3rd party apps like Siebel & Peoplesoft? Suppose it is a dedicated database only for these apps.

I see that they have ~3000 tables and 13000 (yes, 13000) indexes. 80% of the tables are empty to pretty small (~100K). The remaining range from 1MB to 15MB.

I created a LMT with a uniform extent of 100K.

The problem is that for a upgrade process the are doing, they frequently want me to export/truncate/import all the tables.

There is not a single FK in all the tables, so what I do is truncate all the tables and 'imp ignore=y'

The larger (20%) of the tables have 100s of extents. So, even my simple 'truncate' script takes ~40-45 minutes to run!

[I even tried 'truncate table reuse storage' to ensure that it doesnt deallocate/allocate extents unnecessarily]

Does LMT have something to do with this? How can I improve my import performance here?

In general, if anyone out there has dealt with these Siebel/Peoplesoft type of apps, could you share your experiences? Do you use LMTs? Needless to say, these companies' tech support is no help. Their recommendations smell of Oracle 7.x days. If I told them I was using LMTs, they probably wouldnt even approve of it!

Thanks Received on Sun Jan 20 2002 - 08:54:54 CST