Re: LMT and Siebel/Peoplesoft?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:05:56 GMT

Vikas Agnihotri doodled thusly:

>I see that they have ~3000 tables and 13000 (yes, 13000) indexes. 80%
>of the tables are empty to pretty small (~100K). The remaining range
>from 1MB to 15MB.

Peoplesoft has the bad habit of creating quite a few "temporary" tables. By this they mean:

  1. create a table at install time.
  2. fill it up with report or batch intermediate results (per user).
  3. do whatever needs to be done (per user).
  4. delete the inserted rows (per user).

with the result that these things are murderous to manage in a conventional tablespace. For these using LMTs would definitely be an advantage, IMHO.

For the rest, I couldn't be bothered. There isn't enough traffic on most of them to justify putting the lot on LMT. You're much better off splitting load across multiple tablespaces and being careful how you allocate them to different buffer caches.

And given that LMT is relatively new in 8.1.7 (read: potentially buggy), I wouldn't go overboard anyway.

As for a large number of extents (in the 100's) causing serious performance degradation: only in very abnormal circumstances. I'd look at other reasons.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Mon Jan 21 2002 - 04:05:56 CST