Re: Oracle 9i Enterprise Edition - what version of db server?

From: Bas Schulte <bschulte_at_zeelandnet.nl>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 00:04:44 +0100

Sybrand,

In article <sbq64u00ovfq3vgnpkaf15lbjm0fh6tin0_at_4ax.com>, postbus_at_sybrandb.demon-verwijderdit.nl wrote:

> Software you download from otn may not be used for production
> purposes. Read the license, and you will know you have to pay for
> using it for non-development purposes. Also, Oracle doesn't support
> downloaded software.

Oh my. And there I was thinking Oracle was freeware! Silly me.

Anyway. I don't think I mentioned wanting to use Oracle for free; I just wanted to know what version of RedHat I should go for when going for Oracle. I'm setting up specs for a new application, and I want to use both RedHat and Oracle, but before I went ahead, I want to know what the status for Oracle on Linux is thesed days. So that I can pay top dollar as soon as we decide to go ahead. I just want to make sure that the specs I come up with are eligible for support from Oracle.

> In both cases (I verified) on the same page you download the sw from
> you will find a link to the installation manual (8i) or the release
> notes (9i). Both documents specify which version of Linux it is
> intended for (2.4 and 2.2 respectively)

All I found was a quote stating it is certified to run on some Suse version. Other than that, I haven't found any statements about RedHat other than that RedHat 6.2 is certified for 8i.

It's just that I personally think that the whole situation about Oracle on Linux is pretty vague. Do a google search on 'RedHat Oracle8i install' and read all the documents on how to actually get it installed...

Anyway. I decided to go back to RedHat 7.1 myself an Oracle 8i (Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.0.1 to be specific). With a handfull of people's howto's, I managed to get it running.

Regards,

Bas. Received on Sat Jan 19 2002 - 17:04:44 CST