Re: Oracle 9i Enterprise Edition - what version of db server?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 00:31:50 +0100

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:51:23 +0100, bschulte_at_zeelandnet.nl (Bas Schulte) wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm getting terribly confused lately while trying to assemble a
>production-ready system based on RedHat Linux (on Intel h/w) and Oracle.
>
>I recently downloaded "Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 3 (8.1.7.0.1)
>for Linux, with OPS" from
>http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/oracle8i/htdocs/linuxsoft.html,
>which gives me a file called 'linux81701.tar'.
>
>This gives me version 8.1.7.0.1 of the database server, right?
>
>I wonder: is this the same version (of the database server itself, mind
>you) that I get when I download Oracle 9i for Linux, or not? Is the
>database server that comes with 9i more recent than 8.1.7.0.1?
>
>Then there's this issue of what version of RedHat is certified by Oracle
>to run what version of the database server... I really don't want to use
>anything but RedHat 7.2, it kinda doesn't make sense to install an older
>version for a system to-be-rolled-out over the next 2 to 3 months. Then
>again, if I can't get support from Oracle with this combo...
>
>Can anyone point me to a page somewhere on an Oracle website with some
>authoritive information on certification with RedHat?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Bas.
>
>-- The oracle is always right

Software you download from otn may not be used for production purposes. Read the license, and you will know you have to pay for using it for non-development purposes. Also, Oracle doesn't support downloaded software.
If you download Oracle 9i Enterprise edition, you get what you download: version 9i of the database.
In both cases (I verified) on the same page you download the sw from you will find a link to the installation manual (8i) or the release notes (9i). Both documents specify which version of Linux it is intended for (2.4 and 2.2 respectively)

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon Jan 14 2002 - 17:31:50 CST