Re: practical databasing - starter info

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:13:34 +0100

Comments embedded

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:52:33 +0530, "csk" <csk_at_dont-email-me.com> wrote:

>Hi
>Having studied database theory long back in college,
>and never having used it practically ever, I now want
>to give a take on it. Installed Oracle 8i server, opened
>sqlplus - created tables and tried some queries - it worked.
>there is more here, some terminology new to me.
>(like tns listener, user tables, system tables, relationships/associations,
>views, triggers, stored procedures, data-sources, etc).
>Should I really need to learn these to be able to use a database.
YES!!!! (If that's asked not too much of you)
>Any good online tutorial on these things?

The Oracle Concepts Manual is online, as all other docs Also there is Oracle the Complete Reference by Kevin Loney, where the main disadavantage is it weight. But, obviously, it is not short. There seems to exist a book called Oracle Essentials published by O'Reilly. Given the standards of O'Reilly that is probably a good book.

>Now I want to do it from java. I hear two terms - jdbc and
>jdo. am new to both. somebody says jdo is today's hot stuff.
>Can I skip entirely learning jdbc?

If you want to use Java in conjunction with a database, I am afraid you need to learn jdbc, or sqlj

>Good and/or brief tutorials on these are welcome.

Brief tutorials don't exist. Oracle is not sqlserver, mysql, postgresql, or how the other freeware toys out there may be called.

>thanks
>csk

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Jan 18 2002 - 10:13:34 CST