Re: install 8.1.7 on Redhat 7.1

From: Manuela Mueller <520040906697-0001_at_t-online.de>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:12:47 +0100

"Kim Emax - ayianapa.dk" wrote:

> "Jeffrey Hunter" <jhunter_at_idevelopment.info> wrote
>
> > http://www.iDevelopment.info
> >
> > Navigate to: "Oracle" -> "DBA Tips" -> "Tip# 54" / "Tip #53"
>
> damn! Iīve tried this really good how-to, but still... nothing happens :-(
> It just stops after ./runinstall, creates the OraInstall under /tmp/ This is
> the last info on the screen:
>
> Initializing Java Virtual Machine from
> ../stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.8/1/DataFiles/Expanded/linux/bin/jre.
> Please wait...
>
> then it hangs there...
>
> only thing not equal to the how-to is that I couldnīt find a jdk-1_2_2_009,
> mine is a jdk-1_2_2_008 - should that be a problem?
>
> Kim

Hello Kim,
you only need jdk if you intend to set up HTTP-Server Apache. Please take a look at the installation guide for linux (the first URL I posted you). It is very likely that this is not your actual problem.
You need jre for the universal installer. Please, don't confuse jdk and jre.
A few more questions: Your are pretty sure that you set up .bash_profile correctly?
How much physical RAM is in the machine? How big is your swap space? You are not running any other RAM-expensive processes during the install?
What info ist in the installation log file?

Linux installation guide for LINUX
<snip>
Reviewing a Log of an Installation Session

The Installer creates the oraInventory directory the first time it is run to keep an inventory of products that it installs on your system as well as other installation information. This information is particularly useful in diagnosing and resolving installation problems.

The location of oraInventory is defined in /var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc.

The latest log file is oraInventory_location/logs/installActions.log. Log file names of previous installation sessions take the form installActionsdatetime.log.

For example:
installActions1999-07-14_09-00-56-am.log </snip>
Regards
Manuela Mueller Received on Tue Jan 15 2002 - 13:12:47 CST