Re: Low hit ratio, but only for indexes

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:19:21 GMT

Andy doodled thusly:

>We are running SIEBEL.

imteresting.

>I have been advised that it's probably because the queries aren't
>using indexes, which is what I suspected.

that's news to me. a clue that there are a lot of queries without indexes is usually something totally different. maybe this is something new now.

> I ran an explain plan on one
>of their slow queries and it does 2 full table scans of a 7M row
>table.

Yikes! Still, that shouldn't take too darn long, unless the tables have very large rows.

> Unfortunately they can't use hints (SIEBEL doesn't let them,
>something about platform independence),

sigh,
the usual crap about application portability... let me guess: they also don't use declarative referential integrity.

> and the query has a '<>' in
>it, which I beleive won't use indexes.

not for that column. doesn't stop the use of indexes in other columns of other predicates in the same query.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Tue Jan 15 2002 - 08:19:21 CST