Re: To much memory for...

From: AF <af_at_nospaming.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:19:35 -0800

You are probably not legal.

I once had an application that needed a simple data pump from some imbedded insturmentaion to an Enterprise oracle Database. When I contacted Oracle they stated that I was not allowed to use any License for Oracle other than a 5 Client Enterprise $4K. I only needed one connection and nobody logged in to the system.

(Larry Take Note)
This customer was a TOTAL oracle shop up to this point. I made a simple vb front end to "look" at the database. and used a free MSDE (Micro$oft Data Engine) that worked perfect. Too bad Larry wanted the customer to pay for the same client over and over and over and... Now there are a couple of little SQL servers there and growing. In a way I feel bad but.

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:3c429bb2$0$232$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net...
> Actually I'm sure that Sybrand is merely suffering from the deranged
belief
> that people will
>
> a) Read the 500 or so pages of the Concepts manual.
> b) Consider the appropriateness of the tools they have for the job at
hand.

> I must admit this is more of a hope for me now than an expectation.
>
> FWIW I would never recommend Oracle (even lite) for single table databases
> on a laptop. Access pretty much has that market sewn up.
>

> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK
> Please include version and platform
> and SQL where applicable
> It makes life easier and increases the
> likelihood of a good answer

> "Keith Boulton" <kboulton_at_ntlunspam-world.com> wrote in message
> > I think he just needs to take a happy pill today. He's suffering a
> deranged
> > belief that people will/should read the 10,000 pages of documentation
> before
> > working with oracle.
> >
> > Anyway, you can reduce the memory requirement enormously by changing the
> > init.ora parameters.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I don't have oracle and documentation in this
environment.
> > There is an initialisation file, normally in something like
> > c:\oracle\admin\<database name>\pfile\init.ora
> >
> > This file can be edited with notepad. Based on the sample file, you can
> save
> > quite a lot of memory.
> >
> > The main entries affecting memory usage are:
> > db_block_buffers =
> > Amount of memory = block size (normally 8k) * db_block buffers used for
> > caching data read from the database. This can be set quite low, eg 200
> >
> > shared_pool_size = <size in bytes> 10485760 = 10M, you might be able
> > get down to 5M
> > Used for parsing statements, caching data dictionary tables.
> >
> > java_pool_size =
> > Used by java, default 20m, set to minimum value (1000000) if not using
> java.
> >

> > "Andre Vaupel" <avaupel_at_web.de> wrote in message
> > > Hi!
> > >

> > > Thanks for the helpful answer :-/ But guess you were a beginner as
well
> in
> > > the past, isnīt it?
> > > Or did you start as a professionell first?
> > >

> > > Andre
> > >

> > > "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Oracle