Re: how many connection in one tcpip port?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 10 Jan 2002 04:21:44 -0800

gang36_at_hotmail.com (hank) wrote in message news:<8d54c48d.0201091401.34f6362a_at_posting.google.com>...
> Does anybody know in LISTENER default tcpip port setup (like 1251) how
> many simultaneous connection can be allowed in dedicate server, and
> how can configure it if we need to increase the connection?

This setup is called dedicated, but not dedicated !port! connection, so there is no limit like this (users per listener port). We have had 1000+ dedicated connections to one instance and limit was definitely not in port overcrowding. :-)
The limits are usually memory available, processes or threads number limit and some other kernel limits. Everything depends on platform used. When running UNIX based system then carefully selected kernel parameters, lot of memory in box can take you in the skies. However I fear that for NTs 1000 users in dedicated mode is pretty close to hard limit.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.