Re: Rman vs. Manual Hot Backups

From: Keith Boulton <kboulton_at_ntlunspam-world.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 08:31:38 -0000

"Ronald" <devnull_at_ronr.nl> wrote in message news:67ce88e7.0201082225.10d60e1f_at_posting.google.com...

> Don't forget to backup the rman catalog ! In case of a real disaster
> you really need a recent backup catalog.
> On my current site we have a production catalog that we backup open
> and an extra rman catalog that we use to backup the catalog. The extra
> catalog is taken offline for a conventional os backup. This we way
> should always be able to get a working production catalog after we
> loose it. We manage some 100 production db's, many of them 7*24.

My normal preference is to use rman to backup the database to another disk and then use a normal backup program to backup that data to tape and maintain a catalog etc.

In that circumstance, why do I need an rman catalog especially given the retarded decision to use an oracle database for it? Received on Thu Jan 10 2002 - 02:31:38 CST