Re: Index for very small tables needed ?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 2 Jan 2002 05:24:02 -0800

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<1009971674.20953.0.nnrp-01.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk>...
> I think I've got to disagree with you, Howard.
>
> I think the 'small table'/index issue exists
> only as a rule-based problem where an index
> could be used at the wrong time simply because
> it existed.

...<Snipped>

Great, this post together with Howard's perfectly solved Mr Wizeman's problem with "I'm confused after reading different articles about this." :-))
However, I think that both of you are right and this perfectly shows that there is no general rule on this subject. Mr. Mandrake was correct, using or not using index on small tables depends on lot of factors and probably a best way is using method try-and-see. Stand alone small table can be usually keeped without index, however table heavily accessed through joins and only seldomly changing can take advantage from index. <- just my DSS experience

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.