Updates on Oracle and SQL Server

From: Garrick Bigwood <garrickb_at_software360.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 13:37:39 -0000

Hello,

I am doing some comparison testing between SQL Server and Oracle for evaluation of possible migration of existing app from SQL server to Oracle. The tests involve doing full table Updates (e.g. Update table1 set col1 = 5; - this is basically what our system does!!) on 500,000 rows. Running this on Oracle 8.1.6 on Sun Enterprise 450 server /Solaris 8 (fairly old hardware)with files spread across 3 disks , I can get this to run at about 40-45 secs; with SQL Server 7 on a Compaq server with Raid 5 (3 disks) and 1.1 Gb CPU(server approx 6 months old) this takes about 3 - 4 secs. The problem with Oracle seems to be the I/O sub-system and the amount of physical writes done to datafiles and rollback files(also redo of course), and I'm not sure if when SQL Server completes transaction it has completed the writes to disk as Oracle has which makes comparison difficult. I think maybe the big difference in times I am seeing is combination of architecture differences(SQL Server would only do two writes to Transaction Logs and datafiles) and hardware differences (plus I am not using a Volume manager on the Unix server). Has anyone similar experience of testing SQL Server and Oracle, is Oracle slow at Updates, is it the hardware or both or ...?? thanks.
Garrick. Received on Wed Jan 02 2002 - 07:37:39 CST