Re: Oracle 9i worth the switch?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:23:30 +1100

Nope. Speaking entirely personally, 9i makes 8i look a bit sad. My personal favorutie new feature is flashback, but automatic undo and an undo retention policy are close seconds. Then there are the Materialized Views that now tell you why they won't fast refresh; the end of freelist contention as we knew (and hated) it; an intelligent cursor_sharing parameter; dynamically resizable bits of the SGA; automatic tuning of the PGA and a rather nice join syntax. The SPFILE is worth its weight in gold, too.

Definitely worth the upgrade, and I don't recall seeing any major hassles posted here regarding painful bugs encountered (I could be getting senile, I suppose, and just forgetting them, but I don't think so <dribble, dribble>).

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com