Re: Oracle 8i Personal Edition - Windows ME

From: Chris Leonard <chris_at_databaseguy.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 16:28:04 -0600

Alex,

The database owner account is name SYS and has a password of CHANGE_ON_INSTALL. Another builtin DBA account is SYSTEM with the password MANAGER. There are several other accounts that may have been installed, but obviously you're new at this, so that should get you started. You should have gotten online documentation also. Look at the manual called Getting to Know Oracle8i and another one that will have Getting Started in its title (I don't know its exact title for Oracle8i PE). For the Enterprise Edition documentation, chapter 7 of the manual called Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Getting Started is called Starter and Custom Databases, and it contains the information you asked about. If you can't find the docs, they are online at http://tahiti.oracle.com.

Assuming you are connecting from the same box Oracle is installed on, you can leave out the connect string. If that doesn't work for some reason, try the name of the computer or the string ORCL.

Good luck!
Chris

Chris Leonard
MCSE, MCDBA, MCT, OCP, CIW