REPOST: Re: Oradim.exe & shutdown (revised)

From: dsmcd <dsmcd_at_uswestmail.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 04:09:40 GMT

>Sorry, how do we know that oradim.exe is the correct one? Are you sure
>it is the one associated with the ORACLE_HOME your instance was created
>with?

Yes. My mention of oradim73 was the result of a copy&paste from an obsolete template script. I had thought I was copying from the script I was actually using, but turned out I copied from the wrong file, which also explains why the first post had -shuttype srvc when that is not the case.

>Of course you cannot connect with DBA stidio...the instance is not up
>(or does this tool allow you to start an instance?). To connect to a
>shutdown instance, use svrmgrl (or sqlplus /nolog).

DBA Studio is a gui tool to access instance manager, storage mgr, security manager, etc. Yes, if I shutdown using instance manager (within DBA Studio), I can still connect as internal using instance manager (again, within DBA Studio) to open an instance. I'll experiment with sqlplus.

>> btw...Do I need to shutdown srvc to get a proper cold boot.
>No. With the service up and the instance down, you can do a cold
>backup.

Terrific. Good news. Thanks.

>You should read the Admin docs for Windows. All the questions you have
>about Oracle on Win32 should be answered there.

???

This message was cancelled from within Mozilla...not Received on Thu Dec 27 2001 - 22:09:40 CST