REPOST: Re: Oradim.exe & shutdown (revised)

From: Ron Reidy <rereidy_at_indra.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 18:21:10 -0700

dsmcd wrote:

> >I'm not sure why you are using the Oracle 7.3 oradim to shutdown a
> >8.1.7 database. That might easily explain why the service is still
> >listed as started. You need to use the oradim from your
> >%ORACLE_HOME%\bin where ORACLE_HOME is the home for 8i.
> >Shutting down the instance alone would have resulted in the message
> >'connected to an idle instance'
> >Provided you use the correct oradim, this could will allow you to do a
> >proper cold backup.
> >
> >Hth
> >

> >Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
> >
> >To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address
>
> Sorry about that. Confused my scripts. Here's the actual script:
> d:\...\oradim.exe -shutdown -sid SCRATCH -usrpwd oracle -shuttype inst
> -shutmode i
>
> Notice the oradim is correct and the -shuttype does not include srvc
> (so the question regarding started services is resolved). The other
> trouble -- that I can't connect with DBA Studio after shutting down the
> instance with this script -- still holds true.
Sorry, how do we know that oradim.exe is the correct one? Are you sure it is the one associated with the ORACLE_HOME your instance was created with?

Of course you cannot connect with DBA stidio...the instance is not up (or does this tool allow you to start an instance?). To connect to a shutdown instance, use svrmgrl (or sqlplus /nolog).

> btw...Do I need to shutdown srvc to get a proper cold boot.
No. With the service up and the instance down, you can do a cold backup.

> Ugh..now that I've totally muddied the waters of my question I wonder
> if this will ever get resolved ;o)
>
> Thx,
> D.

See comments above...

You should read the Admin docs for Windows. All the questions you have about Oracle on Win32 should be answered there.

--
Ron Reidy
Oracle DBA

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======:
From: Ron Reidy <rereidy_at_indra.com>
Newsgroups: alt.config,comp.lang.c,comp.databases.oracle.server
Subject: cmsg cancel <3C2BC906.B4493BC3_at_indra.com>
Control: cancel <3C2BC906.B4493BC3_at_indra.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 06:48:45 GMT

This message was cancelled from within Mozilla...not