ora-12560 error when running IIS5 ASP pages

From: Karina Wang <kwang_at_wi.rr.com>
Date: 27 Dec 2001 20:39:40 -0800

Hi,

I ran into some database connection problems with the web site I am developing.

The web site is hosted by IIS5 on a Win2000 server. The web pages are written in ASP, using ADODB to connect to the database(8.1.6) which resides on a different machine remotely. Oracle ODBC is being used to connect to the database.

The application protection is set to Medium.

  1. The web site is assigned an internet IP address and an intranet IP address (for testing purposes). On the web server, I have been able to connect to the web site using the INTERNET IP address. However, on any other workstations, I always get the ORA-12560 error.
  2. Some times when I connect to the web site using the INTRANET IP address, I also get the Ora-12560 or the ORA-12535 error (12535 often occurs after the 12560 error).

I had some guesses, but none seems to be conclusive: 1. Bad network connections to the database server. The database server is located at a remote site. The bandwidth between our site and the remote site (intranet) is very limited and we have seen a lot of slow down in connection. However, I have never experienced such problem with the connections from the developers' machines, which all connect to the same database server. In addition, this can not explain why I was never able to make a successful connection using the internet IP address from other workstations.

2. Multiple concurrent users on the web server. I did some tracing and found the error occurs even when there is only one connection attempt.

3. Insufficient permissions on establishing TCP/IP connection to the web server. However, this does not explain why sometimes I can connect and why sometimes I can not.

Any idea on the cause or how to diagnose the problem is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Karina Received on Thu Dec 27 2001 - 22:39:40 CST