How to check that a remote database is up (using SQL)

From: steve deno <sldcrew2k_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 20 Dec 2001 13:58:32 -0800

I need to monitor a production database at one location from a production database at another location to be notified if it becomes unavailable.

Due to cercumstances beyond my control(firewalls , etc.) I am unable to use intelligent agents. So, I set up a procedure for mail using dbms_smtp, have tested it, and it works.

What I wonder is, Is there either a view that I could check or a query I could run that would help me monitor the other database? One that would give distinct values?

Would you just do a select(*) from dual_at_myotherdb and if it fails, catch the exception?

Any Ideas would be appreciated.

Stan Received on Thu Dec 20 2001 - 15:58:32 CST