Re: Do I really need more than 1 rollback segment?

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 20 Dec 2001 15:25:10 +0000 (GMT)

Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Re moving from 8.0.6 to 8.1.7
>
>Watch out for bug 1967363 - relating to the
>cache buffers chains latches for index root
>blocks becoming very hot - initial symptom
>is a dramatic increase in waits for 'latch free'
>which can be identified as sleeps on the
>'cache buffers chains' latch' and then
>tracked to x$bh.hladdr via v$latch_children.addr
>to blocks which are the second block of index
>segments.

Yikes! Thanks for pointing that one out.

I hope that's the cause of the cache buffers chains latch waits that have been annoying me for the past year. Certainly everything fits, I've already traced it down to the root block of an index. I'm not seeing as bad an impact as that reported in the bug though.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/