Re: hot backup question

From: Scott Gamble <zifnab_at_NOSPAM.reddragon.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 19:00:19 GMT

"koert54" <koert54_at_nospam.com> wrote in <%fMT7.1273$9Y2.369224733_at_hestia.telenet-ops.be>:

>You can not take your online redologs from tape as it is not possible to
>make a consistent hot backup of them ...
>
>So to answer your question - you can do a restore/recovery to different
>machine (with or without recreating the controlfile) but the recovery
>will always be an incomplete one as you'll have to open the database using
>resetlogs to recreate your redologs...

Right that is the part I was missing.

It is possible to do the recovery by applying the archived logs without actually having any online logs physically there.

At the point where the incomplete recovery is done, the act of doing the resetlogs, will actually recreate the missing online logs.

Is that correct? I had always assumed resetlogs needed to have the logs there already.

Thanks for the clarification on that.

Scott Received on Tue Dec 18 2001 - 13:00:19 CST