Re: extending tablespace TEMP

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 05:59:06 +1100

Well, I think that was always going to be your best bet. I think Niall's posted that there is a 'create daatafile X as Y' command that re-creates exact replicas of a datafile *provided* you have every single archive that was generated since the time of file Y's creation. That might have been an option for you.

The really useful thing to learn out of this is not simply 'never delete a data file', but *why* you can't just do deletes at the O/S level, or 'borrow' other files and hope that Oracle can be fooled into thinking it's the same as the one that went missing. There's a lot of critical information at the header of each datafile that tells Oracle precisely what file it's dealing with, and at what point of database consistency it's at. Simply pinching another file from some place else doesn't work, because that critical information doesn't match what Oracle's expecting to find.

On my site (at the link below), under the 'books' link, there's a 70-page tome on backup and recovery techniques which you may find useful, because successful backup and recovery very largely depends on understanding and working with this file-specific critical information. Anyway, you might find it useful!

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com