Re: Do I really need more than 1 rollback segment?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 13:57:57 GMT

Hemant K Chitale doodled thusly:

>Why is setting optimal "equally mad" ? I've set OPTIMAL
>and haven't had a single ORA-1555 for more than a year.
>One Rollback Segment does grow as large as 400MB
>once a week when a particular job runs but shrinks back
>to 20MB -- it has to shrink so many extents only once a week.
>Other than that, yes, there are some shrinks etc but at least
>I have predictable rollback segment sizes.

you have just been lucky with the particular makeup of your workload. Probably the large job you mentioned is not touching tables that are also changed by other processes, and vice-versa.

Having said that if you find that it works for you, nothing wrong whatsoever with continuing to use it.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Sat Dec 08 2001 - 07:57:57 CST